Saturday, January 14, 2012

Layers of Forgiveness

I have been hearing a lot about forgiveness and how important it is in living a life of peace, and until last night I hadn't really got how it relates to me. As I was cuddling with Jacob last night after having another emotional day, I said to him " I will be a nicer mommy to you." And he replied " You are a nice mommy!" and in that moment I realized as a parent all I want from my kids is for them to know that I am doing the best that I can in each moment and want to be forgiven for times when I am anything less then my best. Knowing that this is true for my parents as well. We all have issues with our parents or other people that have been in our lives and not necessarily forgive and forget, forgive and let be. There are loads of layers of forgiveness in my life. Forgiveness for thinking that my parents abandon me on one level or another. Pealing these layers off offers up more chances for us to feel the love that surrounds us and ACTUALLY let it in. Also one more layer, the more I forgive my parents for what I think they "did" to me (which I will say is no abuse), the more I am present as a parent for my kids and I have come a long way and I have a long way to go to be fully at peace, the point though is I am on my way. That being said, I have ups and downs where some days it's 3 steps forward, 2 steps back, and others it's 4 steps back. It comes in waves and I have to remember when I can to recognize where I need to forgive and be at peace.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, the first 3 months are like a roller coaster. But you're doing great! Good for you friend. Cry when you need to, and as my mom said to me, it helps the heart rest. Love you <3

    ReplyDelete